Get A Quote
building site with ground works and foundations

Groundworkers Insurance

Public liability insurance for a ground worker, at a price you can afford

Not on comparison sites — save money by coming direct to us

Quick Online Quote
Home » Builder’s Insurance » Ground Worker’s Insurance

Tradesman Saver’s Public Liability Cover For Ground Workers

Our standard cover is:

  • Up to £5 million cover for public and products liability
  • £10,000 cover for any financial loss (£50K cover optional)
  • Worldwide liability cover for temporary work abroad for up to 14 days (excluding the USA and Canada)

Here at Tradesman Saver, all of our groundworkers insurance policies come with public liability cover. This could be incredibly beneficial considering your trade, as it means your livelihood is protected from any claims related to injuries or property damage that occurred on the job. And even as a vigilant groundworker, it only takes one unlucky moment for disaster to strike. For example, perhaps a member of the public tripped over your unattended toolbox and sprained their ankle while you went to take a phone call. Normally, you could be made to pay a hefty compensation sum to that person. But with public liability insurance, that fee will be covered for you.

Public liability isn’t the only cover you may need. Our groundworkers insurance also automatically insures for financial loss, legal expenses, product liability and accidental death. This means that no matter what goes wrong, your business will be free from the expensive repercussions, allowing it to continue running as normal no matter what fate digs up.

Other relevant insurance policies for a groundworkers business include employer’s liability, which is a legal requirement for anybody who employs staff, and professional indemnity insurance. This means that you’re protected if a third party takes legal action over your company’s bad advice, poor designs or unacceptable services. We offer a number of optional covers which you can mix and match to best suit your needs. Get an online quote in minutes and build your perfect groundworkers insurance package.

Get a QuoteLearn about Builder’s Insurance

What’s included with our Automatic Cover

Van Insurance New Quote Continue Quote

How our groundworkers insurance works

1 Apply Online

Complete our simple quote form with basic details about your business

2 Get a Quote

Get an instant quote & choose any optional covers you may need

3 You’re insured!

Instantly activate your Tradesman Saver policy and view your certificates online

What is groundworkers insurance?

From removing sewage to laying kerbs, your duties as a groundworker are vital for preparing a site before any building work can commence. Working in such a varied role brings unique challenges and risks, which is why you need a flexible insurance policy to protect your business from any unexpected circumstances. As opposed to generic coverage, Tradesman Saver’s groundworkers insurance is designed specifically for your trade and includes everything you need to keep your business safe from potential legal or financial issues.

Why do you need groundworkers insurance?

We know how important specialist insurance is in the trade industry. You want to be sure that your business will be protected if anything goes wrong, and working in a public setting as a groundworker is particularly risky. There’s a chance of somebody being accidentally injured, or their damage being sustained to their property, either of which would make your company liable for costly compensation. Luckily, our groundworkers insurance, which includes free public liability cover as standard, has been designed by those in your industry, and can be customised to meet your business’s specific needs. Fill in our free online quote form today to see how Tradesman Saver can help your business.

Get a Quote

Chosen by over 5000 businesses and counting *

Online & Anywhere

We like to keep things simple. Your quote, purchase and documents are all available online, anytime.

Monthly Instalments

Cashflow is important to every business. Spread the cost by paying in easy monthly instalments.

Instant Cover

No need to wait for your documents. Our tradesman cover starts from the moment you purchase.

Added Protection

Public liability, products liability, financial loss, legal expenses and accidental death cover as standard.

* Total number of live policies as at 31/03/2022
£50 from
me to you.

When a friend you refer takes out a new policy, we’ll give £25 to them, and £25 to you.

Refer a friend

Groundworkers Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need groundworkers insurance?

As your groundworkers business is your livelihood, you need to do everything in your power to keep it safe. The last thing you want is for it to unravel after one unfortunate mistake, like a very expensive compensation claim you simply can’t afford to pay. However, there’s no need to worry about this once you have the right insurance in place. We work with you to create a personalised policy that includes everything your business needs to safeguard its future.

What does groundworkers insurance cover?

In addition to public liability insurance for groundworkers, and the other covers we automatically include in our policies, there are some optional extras you might like to add. For instance, contractors all risk insures you against all of the main risks associated with construction work, including stolen or broken tools, and damage to building works and temporary buildings. Others to consider could be income protection, providing you with financial support if illness or injury leaves you unable to work for a while, or personal accident insurance, in case serious harm leaves you permanently out of action.

I’m a subcontractor—will I be covered by my main contractor’s insurance policy?

This depends on whether the basis of your work is labour only or as a bona-fide subcontractor. Labour only means you are effectively a company employee, operating under supervision, and relying on the tools and equipment they’ve provided you to do your job. Bona-fide subcontractors work independently, using their own materials and setting their own hours. If this sounds like you, you’ll need your own insurance—especially public liability, and employer’s liability if you’re accompanied by a team of staff. Most contractors won’t work with you unless you have appropriate cover. It’s also important to check the terms of any master insurance policies if you’re a labour only subcontractor, just in case there’s anything you need to organise yourself. 

Don’t Let Your Groundworkers Business Get Caught Out By An Accident

When you’ve worked so hard to build your ground working business from the ground up, it’s essential that you keep it protected from any accidents that come your way. Here are just a few situations where insurance could save you from disaster:


A construction site disaster

You’re preparing the foundation of a new extension that’s going to be built. Unfortunately, during the project, the adjoining property catches on fire and destroys all of the ongoing construction work you completed on the extension. This is where your contractors all risks insurance can give you a helping hand. In the knowledge that restarting or repairing this work will all be paid for under your policy, you can keep on schedule and avoid paying for it out of your own pocket.

The problem with power tools

While you’re preparing the foundation for a new home to be built, one of your team members trips over a power tool cable and breaks their wrist. They decide to claim compensation against you. Your employer’s liability insurance will pick up the pieces here, covering the costs of the compensation, and letting you focus on keeping your project running on time.

*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax but excludes our admin charge. 19% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2021 and 28th February 2021. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2022 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.