Get a quote

Contractors All Risk Insurance

Comprehensive All Risk Insurance available with all Tradesman Saver policies

Not on comparison sites — save money by coming direct to us

Get a quote
Home » Contractor’s Insurance » Contractor’s All Risks Insurance

Tradesman Saver’s Contractors All Risk Cover

Cover available for:

  • Up to £500,000 cover for loss or damage to contract works
  • Up to £75,000 cover for theft or damage to construction plant, tools, and equipment
  • Up to £20,000 cover for damage to temporary buildings
  • Up to £50,000 cover for damage to hired-in property, plant, tools, and equipment

Our contractors all risk (CAR) insurance is active from the date you choose your policy to start. If you need extra cover for specific jobs, give our helpline a call and our team will be happy to arrange the cover needed.

The price of our CAR insurance depends on the amount of cover you choose, and whether you need insurance for specific industries. We offer optional contractors insurance as add-ons for specific jobs like flooring, drainage, or roofing, depending on what you need. This cover is available as an extension for our Tradesman Saver public liability insurance policy.

At Tradesman Saver, all our insurance policies include public liability, products liability, financial loss, legal expenses, and accidental death cover as standard.

Please note that contractors all risk cover is an optional cover that you can add to your policy alongside cover for your public liability.

Get a Quote  Learn about Contractor’s Insurance

What is contractors all risk insurance?

Contractors’ all risk (CAR) insurance is an essential type of builders insurance, which offers you coverage for property damage and third-party claims of injury or damage. These are the main risks associated with most construction projects, which is where you’re most likely to find contractors at work. A third-party claim can even come in from a subcontractor who you may not have previously worked with.

At Tradesman Saver, we understand the stress that comes with running your own business as a contractor, without the added hassle of ensuring you’re well protected in the event of any legal wranglings.

If you do find yourself facing a claim from a third-party, you can rest easy knowing that you’re well covered with our insurance package, meaning you don’t have to worry about the financial costs.

Why do you need contractors all risk insurance?

As a contractor, you will likely be working with specialist tools, in high-risk situations like construction sites. Our dedicated all risks insurance policy will cover any contract work, your own plant, tools and equipment, employee tools, hired-in plant, and temporary buildings erected during construction. The policy also includes contract works insurance policy, which covers you financially for any repairs on site, or if you need to redo the work you were contracted to complete, due to causes like fire, flood, storms, vandalism, or theft.

Having the right insurance policy in place means you won’t have to pay out of your own pocket in the event of any accidents or issues outside of your control. Without this cover in place, you risk losing money on court cases, replacing damaged or stolen tools, or even having to entirely alter your work. Our contractors all risk insurance policy keeps you and your business safe throughout any contracted projects you’re working on.

Unlike public liability, contractors all risk cover is not an automatic cover, it is an optional cover which can be added to your standard Tradesman Saver policy.

Get a Quote

Chosen by over 5000 businesses and counting *

  • Online & Anywhere

    Online & Anywhere

    We like to keep things simple. Your quote, purchase and documents are all available online, anytime.

  • Monthly Instalments

    Monthly Instalments

    Cashflow is important to every business. Spread the cost by paying in easy monthly instalments.

  • Instant Cover

    Instant Cover

    No need to wait for your documents. Our tradesman cover starts from the date you select.

  • Added protection

    Added Protection

    Public liability, products liability, financial loss, legal expenses and accidental death cover as standard.

* Total number of live policies as of 31/01/2024

Contractors All Risks Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

Is all risk insurance the same as public liability insurance?

No, contractors all risk insurance is different to public liability. The main purpose of public liability is to protect you, the policy holder, from legal liability related to injuries caused to third parties, including customers, clients and members of the public. Practically, what does that mean?

Well, if you accidentally scratch a car while on the job, or cause damage to your client’s property, this would be covered by public liability insurance. In comparison, some kinds of damage which would be covered by contractors all risk insurance include:

  • Damage caused by faulty workmanship, materials or design
  • Damage to property during transit or when stored temporarily
  • The cost of rectifying defective work

If you’re not sure whether a specific issue is related to public liability insurance or contractors all risk insurance, don’t hesitate to get in touch today. At Tradesman Saver, we can offer advice and support to make sure you’re protected.

Will contractors all risk insurance protect me while on a construction site?

Yes, contractors all risk insurance will project you if you’re working on a construction site. However, it’s worth noting that due to the nature of your work on the site, and the kind of incident you’ve been involved in, there may be other insurance policies which are more relevant to your situation.

Who is responsible for taking out contractors all risk insurance?

In most circumstances, it is the contractors responsibility to take out an all risk insurance policy to ensure they are protected. In some circumstances, this can be a joint policy between the contractor and the employer. It’s also possible for other parties to be named in the policy, such as the financing company or even the end client.

Can contractors all risk insurance be extended to cover sub contractors?

Yes, in many cases, it can. If the policy is taken out by the main contractor, they can extend their coverage to include sub-contractors. This type of coverage will help protect all parties involved in a project from any liability in case of an accident or damage to property.

Is contractors all risk insurance the same as professional indemnity insurance?

No, contractors all risk insurance is different to professional indemnity. Professional indemnity focuses on providing protection against negligence and compensation for any losses caused by the mistakes of a professional. On the other hand, contractors all risk insurance covers physical loss or damage to property while on construction sites. It also provides financial cover against legal expenses if a third party makes a claim against you due to an incident at the site.

Can I get cover for my materials while on-site?

Yes. Your stock and any materials used are covered for jobs around the UK as part of the plant, machinery, tools, and equipment section of the policy. This includes any hired-in plant, such as diggers, up to a maximum of £50,000 for any one item.

Am I covered for tools stolen from an unattended vehicle?

Yes. As part of our policy, you will be covered for any tools or material stolen from locked unattended vehicles. However, this will incur a higher excess charge, so it’s best to exercise caution and keep your vehicle attended when possible, and also remove tools from your van overnight.

If I have contractors all risk insurance, do I still need employers liability insurance?

If you are employing anyone, then you need employers liability insurance. Employers liability insurance is designed to protect yourself and your employees on the worksite. If you’re an independent contractor, then your all risk policy is designed to protect yourself, your contracting business and your clients’ property.

Will my contractor’s all risk insurance cover the existing structure if I am building an extension?

No. The contract works portion of the policy covers ongoing work on-site, but the landlord or homeowner will need to arrange for insurance separately in order to keep the whole building covered.

Is contractors all risk insurance cover the same as contract works insurance?

No, contractors all risk insurance and contract works insurance are different insurance policies covering different things. Contractors all risk insurance provides cover for property, plant and equipment used in the project, whereas contract works insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing buildings or structures that have been damaged or destroyed while work is being carried out. It also provides protection against third-party claims from people who may be injured or suffer damage to their property during the construction process.

What is the Burden of Proof for contractors all risk insurance?

The burden of proof is on the insured to prove that the claim is covered under their contractors all risk insurance policy. The insured must provide evidence of loss, damage or destruction caused by a peril which is outlined in the contract works insurance policy before they can receive compensation for their claim.

What are all risk perils?

All risk perils is another name for all risk insurance, in relation to the individual risks of the contractor. Named perils is an insurance product that names what is insured in case of an accident. All risks, assuming there are no perils mentioned, could be considered all risk perils since all perils are assumed as risk (under the policy). However, these are rare as they put undue risk acceptance on the insurer, and it is much more common to see many perils listed, even on an all risks policy.

This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2024 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check our financial services registration status on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Back To Top
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.