Get a quote

Plant Insurance

Covering everything from tools to construction plant – hired in or owned

Not on comparison sites — save money by coming direct to us

Get a quote
Home » Plant & Machinery Insurance

Tradesman Saver’s Plant Insurance

Our standard cover is:

  • £1 million cover for public and products liability (with an option to increase to £2 million or £5 million)
  • £10,000 cover for any financial loss (£50K cover optional)
  • Worldwide liability cover for temporary work abroad for up to 14 days (excluding the USA and Canada)

If you rely on plant and machinery for your business operations, plant insurance is essential. Without adequate cover in place, you could be left facing significant financial losses if your plant is stolen or damaged. Some key reasons to consider plant insurance include:

  • Theft: Construction sites and other workplaces can be prime targets for thieves looking to steal valuable plant and machinery. Plant insurance can cover the cost of replacing stolen equipment.
  • Accidental Damage: Accidents can happen even with the most careful operators. Plant insurance provides cover for accidental damage to your owned or hired in plant.
  • Business Interruption: If your plant is stolen or damaged, it could leave you unable to work until it’s replaced or repaired. Some plant insurance policies include business interruption cover to help you manage during this time.
  • Liability: If your plant causes injury or property damage to a third party, you could be held liable. Many plant insurance policies include public liability insurance to protect you in this situation.

At Tradesman Saver, we understand that every business is different. That’s why we offer a range of plant insurance options to suit your needs and budget. Our expert team can help you find the right level of cover to protect your plant and machinery.

While not available as a standalone policy, but short term plant insurance is available as an additional extra for anyone who wishes to take out builders insurance with us. This standard policy provides your business and employees with public liability insurance, offering protection against any injury claims to a customer or member of the public.

It also includes products liability, which secures you if your products or services injure a third party. Our policy also covers financial losses and legal expenses of up to £250,000, as well as accidental death, offering a lump sum in the event of you or a member of your team being fatally injured. Our plant insurance can be purchased as an add-on, alongside other optional insurance covers such as contractors’ all risk, professional indemnity, and wider tools & equipment insurance.

Please note that plant insurance is an optional cover that you can add to your policy alongside cover for your contract works.

Get a Quote

How our plant insurance works

1 Apply Online

Complete our simple quote form with basic details about your business

2 Get a quote

Get an instant quote & choose any optional covers you may need

3 You’re insured!

Instantly activate your Tradesman Saver policy and view your certificates online

What is plant insurance?

Plant insurance refers to a type of business insurance that covers various types of plant and machinery used in construction, agriculture, and other industries. This can include everything from excavators and bulldozers to cranes and generators. A plant insurance policy typically provides cover for theft, accidental damage, and loss or damage caused by fire, flood, storms, and other perils.

At Tradesman Saver, our plant insurance policies are designed to protect your business financially in the event that your plant or machinery is stolen, damaged, or lost. We offer cover for both owned plant and hired in plant, with options to suit your specific requirements.

Plant insurance from Tradesman Saver begins from the date you choose cover to start. Cover is available for up to £75,000 of own plant and up to £50,000 of hired-in plant. If you need cover beyond this, simply get in touch with us and we can arrange to increase this further.

Owned Plant Insurance vs Hired In Plant Insurance

When it comes to plant insurance, there are two main types of cover: owned plant insurance and hired in plant insurance. Here’s a quick overview of the differences:

  • Owned Plant Insurance: This covers plant and machinery that your business owns outright. It protects your investment in case your plant is stolen, damaged, or lost.
  • Hired In Plant Insurance: This provides cover for plant and machinery that you hire from another company. If you’re responsible for the plant under the hire agreement, hired in plant insurance can protect you financially if it’s stolen or damaged while in your care.

At Tradesman Saver, we offer both owned plant insurance and hired in plant insurance. Our policies can be tailored to your specific needs, whether you own your plant outright, hire it in for specific jobs, or use a combination of both.

Unlike public liability, plant insurance is not an automatic cover, but it can be added to any standard Tradesman Saver policy if you need it.

Get a Quote

How Much Does Plant Insurance Cost?

The cost of plant insurance can vary depending on a number of factors, including:

  • The type and value of the plant and machinery you need to insure
  • The level of cover you require
  • Your claims history and risk profile
  • The excess you choose

At Tradesman Saver, we aim to provide affordable plant insurance without compromising on cover. Our liability insurance starts from less than £54* per year, and we offer a range of options to suit different budgets and needs.

The best way to get an accurate quote for your plant insurance is to speak to our expert team. We’ll take the time to understand your business and recommend a policy that provides the right level of cover at a competitive price.

Chosen by over 5000 businesses and counting *

  • Online & Anywhere

    Online & Anywhere

    We like to keep things simple. Your quote, purchase and documents are all available online, anytime.

  • Monthly Instalments

    Monthly Instalments

    Cashflow is important to every business. Spread the cost by paying in easy monthly instalments.

  • Instant Cover

    Instant Cover

    No need to wait for your documents. Our tradesman cover starts from the date you select.

  • Added protection

    Added Protection

    Public liability, products liability, financial loss, legal expenses and accidental death cover as standard.

* Total number of live policies as of 31/01/2024

Plant Insurance: What’s Included In Your Cover?

The specifics of what’s covered by plant insurance can vary depending on the insurer and the policy you choose. However, most plant insurance policies will cover:

  • Theft: Coverage for plant and machinery that is stolen from your worksite or storage location.
  • Accidental Damage: Protection against accidental damage to your plant, whether it’s caused by operator error, vandalism, or other factors.
  • Fire & Perils: Cover for loss or damage caused by fire, flood, storms, and other specified perils.
  • Hired In Plant: Coverage for plant and machinery that you hire from another company to use in your business operations.

Some plant insurance policies may also cover:

  • Own Surrounding Property: Damage to your own property caused by your plant.
  • Continuing Hire Charges: Ongoing hire costs while your hired in plant is being repaired or replaced following an insured event.
  • Debris Removal: The cost of removing debris following an insured event that damages your plant.

To ensure you get the best possible cover for the lowest price, we include plant insurance under our contract works optional cover. It includes:

  • Contract works cover from £50,000 to £500,000
  • All risks cover
  • Construction plant, tools and equipment from £5,000 to £75,000
  • Off-site storage
  • Temporary buildings from £5,000 to £25,000
  • Hired in plant up to £50,000 for any one item
  • Hired in plant annual fees from £2,500 to £50,000
  • Immobilised plant
  • Plant cover includes JCBs & diggers
  • Low-cost monthly instalments available
  • Covered while in transit
  • Continuing hiring charges

Get a Quote

hired in plant and machinery on a building site

Plant Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between owned plant and hired in plant insurance?

Owned plant and equipment insurance covers plant and machinery that your business owns outright. Hired-in plant insurance covers plant and machinery that you hire from another company and are responsible for under the hire agreement.

Why do you not offer plant insurance in isolation?

Most insurers are unable to offer plant hire insurance on its own due to the high level of claims that arise from this type of cover. It’s often included as part of a comprehensive public liability insurance package. 

Can I get hired-in plant insurance for a week?

In some instances, you can get plant insurance cover (as part of a wider public liability insurance policy) for a short period of time. So, for example, if you only need hired-in plant insurance for a short period of time, you may be able to get it added in to your wider insurance coverage.

What do I do if my construction plant is stolen?

If your construction plant is stolen, report it to the police and ask for a crime reference number. Once you have done this, contact our claims department. We will then liaise with insurers on your behalf and let you know the information you need to provide to get your claim moving.

Hired-in plant insurance covers any hired-in plant against theft losses, although you should always check your policy to see whether there are any policy conditions that require certain minimum levels of security when the plant is on site. More expensive items of plant may need to be fitted with tracking devices, for instance.

Does plant insurance cover continuing hiring charges?

If any hired-in plant is damaged or stolen, you’ll usually be liable to continue paying the hire charges for the item in question, even if it is no longer available for use.

These continuing hire charges are covered by a hired-in plant insurance policy. However, the maximum we’ll pay is the equivalent to 90 days’ worth of hiring charges.


Does plant insurance cover items of plant in transit?

As well as being at risk of loss or damage when it is on site, construction plant is at risk when it is in transit. Hired-in plant insurance covers the plant whether it is in transit or on site.

Do I need plant insurance if I only use hired in plant?

If you hire in plant and are responsible for it under the hire agreement, it’s essential to have hired in plant insurance in place. This will protect you financially if the plant is stolen or damaged while in your care.

Is a plant hirer’s waiver better than your own plan insurance?

Some hirers will offer you a waiver and many contractors will rely on that rather than buying their own insurance, but there are two reasons that this is not always the best option.

First, the hirer’s waiver may only cover a limited range of risks, and may not cover accidental damage to the plant. Having your own insurance may mean that you have more protection.

Second, it may be cheaper to insure any hired-in plant yourself, particularly if you are hiring plant on a regular basis. An annual policy that covers all of the plant that you hire during the year will usually work out cheaper than buying waivers from the hirer each time you hire anything.

What level of plant insurance cover do I need?

The level of cover you need will depend on factors like the value of your plant, the nature of your work, and your risk profile. It’s important to get a policy that provides adequate protection without being over-insured. Our team can help you assess your needs and find the right cover.

Is plant insurance a legal requirement?

Plant insurance itself is not a legal requirement in the UK. However, if you have employees, you are legally required to have employers’ liability insurance in place. Many contractors also require their subcontractors to have adequate insurance, including plant cover, before allowing them on site.

How do I make a claim on my plant insurance policy?

If you need to make a claim on your plant insurance policy, the first step is to contact your insurer as soon as possible. They will guide you through the claims process and let you know what information and documentation they require. At Tradesman Saver, we aim to make the claims process as smooth and stress-free as possible.

This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2024 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check our financial services registration status on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Back To Top
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.