Get a quote
tradesmen hard hat Contractor

Contractors Insurance

Contractors liability insurance, starting at less than £54* per year

Not on comparison sites — save money by coming direct to us

Get a quote
Home » Contractor’s Insurance

Tradesman Saver’s Contractors Liability Insurance Cover

Our standard cover is:

  • £1 million cover for public and products liability (with an option to increase to £2 million, £5 million or £10 million)
  • £10,000 cover for any financial loss (£50K cover optional)
  • Worldwide liability cover for temporary work abroad for up to 14 days (excluding the USA and Canada)

Whether you’re a fencing or building contractor, or a cleaning or scaffolding contractor, contractors liability insurance helps professionals like you keep your head above water financially should unexpected incidents like injury or theft strike. 

The contractors insurance packages from Tradesman Saver feature the main covers you need, including public liability insurance, products liability insurance and employer’s liability insurance. Consequently, you can go about your business safe in the knowledge that your livelihood is protected from any accidents.

Why do you need liability insurance for contractors?

As well as planning projects, inspecting buildings and managing your team, you also have to deal with the unfortunate reality of an accident striking you or your employees on the job. However, taking out a bespoke contractors liability insurance policy can make things a lot easier (and safer).

This lets you work without worrying that one accident could leave you in the mire financially, giving you the confidence to do your job to the highest standard. What’s more, prospective customers are also more likely to work with someone who’s insured as it shows that they take their work seriously and can be trusted.

Here at Tradesman Saver, we offer low-cost contractors insurance to ensure that everyone can get the cover they need. To build a tailored policy that’s perfect for your requirements, fill out our online form today.

Get a Quote  Learn about Public Liability


Your 60 Second Guide to Contractor’s insurance

How our contractors insurance works

1 Apply Online

Complete our simple quote form with basic details about your business

2 Get a quote

Get an instant quote & choose any optional covers you may need

3 You’re insured!

Instantly activate your Tradesman Saver policy and view your certificates online

Understanding public liability insurance for contractors

When buying contractors insurance, there are various terms you’ll come across. But perhaps the most common is ‘public liability cover’, and for good reason. This is the backbone of any insurance policy and covers injury to third parties or damage to their property, therefore protecting you when being sued by your customers or members of the public. Among the situations it covers are:

  • Damage to a client’s car after catching it with a plank of wood you’re carrying.
  • Injury to a member of the public after they trip over your toolbox.
  • Damage to a client’s neighbour’s fence when building an extension

Why do you need public liability insurance for contractors?

Working as a contractor is no walk in the park. After spending all of your hours building other people’s dreams, it’s easy for your own to fall by the wayside, such as having a safe and secure livelihood. But this is certainly not something you should neglect, and public liability insurance will help you achieve this dream, allowing you to safeguard your financial future.

Get a Quote

How much does contractor’s insurance cost?

The cost of your contractors insurance depends on the type of contracting you are carrying out.  Prices vary by trade and there are many types contractor we can cover.  For example we offer insurance for plumbing contractors, building contractors, fencing contractors, roofing contractors, paving contractors, cleaning contractors, flooring contractors and drainage contractors to name just a few!  The risk your trade poses to the public and the likelihood of a claim occurring will affect the price you pay.  Other elements like the limits of cover you select, number of staff, how long you have been trading and whether you have had any claims can all influence the price you pay.

With Tradesman Saver all policies for contractors include lots of additional covers as standard.  In addition to public liability insurance, you will also get cover for legal expenses, financial loss and accidental death cover. Most other insurers charge extra for these covers but with Tradesman Saver we include these as standard.

Get a quote
Prices start from £53.76

Contractor’s Insurance quote examples

£53.76 / year A cleaning contractor working on domestic properties
  • Sole Trader
  • No employees
  • 5 years experience
  • Based in London
  • No claims

Automatic Covers

  • Public Liability £1,000,000
  • Financial Loss £10,000
  • Products Liability £1,000,000
  • Legal Expenses £250,000
  • Accidental Death £10,000

Optional Covers

  • Business Contents Not Insured
  • Personal Accident Not Insured
  • Employers Liability Not Insured
  • Tools / Equipment Not Insured
  • Contract Works Not Insured
  • Professional Indemnity Not Insured
£57.70 / month £650.72 / year A building contracting company working on domestic properties less than 10 metres in height
  • Limited Company
  • 3 Employees
  • 5 years experience
  • Based in Surrey
  • No claims

Automatic Covers

  • Public Liability £5,000,000
  • Financial Loss £10,000
  • Products Liability £5,000,000
  • Legal Expenses £250,000
  • Accidental Death £10,000

Optional Covers

  • Business Contents Not Insured
  • Personal Accident Not Insured
  • Employers Liability £10,000,000
  • Tools / Equipment 1000
  • Contract Works £50,000
  • Professional Indemnity £50,000

The above quote examples were taken from our online system on 30/01/24 and include insurance premium tax but exclude our £5 admin charge.  These are real quotes but your own personal quote will vary dependent upon your circumstances and the level of cover you require.

What is the excess under a contractor’s insurance policy?

Most insurance policies will be subject to an excess, which is the amount you agree to pay towards a claim.  Detailed below are the standard excesses under a Tradesman Saver contractors insurance policy but you should check your own quotation to see exactly what applies to your policy as excess may vary depending on the type of work you do.

Insurance cover Excess
Public Liability £250
Products Liability £250
Employers Liability No Excess
Financial Loss 10% of claim value(£2,500 minimum)
Professional Indemnity £250
Contract Works £250(£500 Theft/Malicious Damage)
Tools / Equipment £100(£250 Unattended vehicle)
Legal Expenses No Excess

Chosen by over 5000 businesses and counting *

  • Online & Anywhere

    Online & Anywhere

    We like to keep things simple. Your quote, purchase and documents are all available online, anytime.

  • Monthly Instalments

    Monthly Instalments

    Cashflow is important to every business. Spread the cost by paying in easy monthly instalments.

  • Instant Cover

    Instant Cover

    No need to wait for your documents. Our tradesman cover starts from the date you select.

  • Added protection

    Added Protection

    Public liability, products liability, financial loss, legal expenses and accidental death cover as standard.

* Total number of live policies as of 31/01/2024

Contractors Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need legally need contractors insurance?

The only reason you’d legally need contractors insurance is if you employ members of staff, in which case employer’s liability insurance is required by law. However, not only will independent contractor insurance protect your finances, but it will make prospective customers more likely to work with you. This kind of business insurance cover is extremely beneficial and could save you a lot of money in the long run.

What does contractor insurance actually cover?

When you choose Tradesman Saver’s contractor insurance, you’ll receive a bespoke package of insurance to suit your needs. Our essential tradesman insurance policies are designed to protect you, your customers, and the general public from accidental damage, harm or injury caused as a result of your work.

Accidents happen, particularly on busy worksites where incorrect advice or a momentary lack of attention can lead to property damage, injury, or death. That’s why it’s vital that you have the right cover in place to protect both yourself and your customers from any potential claims.

At Tradesman Saver, we can provide a complete range of insurance packages tailored to meet your specific needs. No matter what kind of independent contractor you are, our contractor insurance cover protects you from legal costs arising from negligence claims made against you by your client, or the general public. Our wide range of contractor insurance policies includes:

  • Public liability – Covers you against third party property damage or personal injury as a result of your work. Public liability insurance can protect you from legal fees resulting from any third party claims.
  • Employer’s liability – Covers you against any claims made by employees for injury or illness resulting from their job. If you employ anyone, employer’s liability insurance is absolutely essential.
  • Contractors’ all risks insurance – Covers the cost of replacing damaged property that was undertaken as part of a contract agreement, such as machinery, tools, and other equipment used in the course of your work.
  • Professional indemnity – Protects you against financial losses arising from negligence, errors, or omissions in the advice or services you provide to clients.
  • Tools Insurance – Covers the cost of replacing tools that are lost, stolen or damaged in transit. This is especially important for contractors who use expensive equipment on a regular basis.
If I have contractor insurance, do I need professional indemnity insurance?

If you’re already covered by contractor insurance, you should already be covered by professional indemnity insurance. If you make a mistake on the job, professional indemnity insurance covers you against any legal claims your customers might make against you.

However, it’s worth double checking that your contractor insurance policy covers you for professional indemnity, as some do not. It’s important to understand exactly what you’re covered for when you’re deciding on a form of business insurance and the implications of each type of cover.

Is contractors insurance the same as contractors all risk insurance?

Contractors insurance refers to all the types of cover a contractor could need, such as public liability, employer’s liability, and legal expenses. Contractors all risks insurance is one specific policy that is available to all tradesmen within the construction sector, such as builders, plumbers, and carpenters. 

This particular optional cover includes contract works insurance and up to £500,000 expenses for loss or damage to building works you’re responsible for. We also protect you against theft or damage to any equipment associated with the contract, as well as damage to temporary buildings or hired-in property.

How much contractor’s insurance do I need?

The amount of contractor insurance you require depends on things like how dangerous your jobs are, how large your contracts are, and how expensive your equipment is. We can help you work out how much is necessary if you’re unsure. Sometimes, your client may specify a minimum level of cover they expect you to have.

How do I make a claim on my contractors insurance policy?

In order to make a claim on your contractors insurance policy, you need to get in touch with us ASAP. Before you do though, you should check you’re within the time limits for making a claim and that your policy covers the type of claim involved.

It’s also a good idea to find out what this excess is so you’re aware of what the insurer will deduct from the claim. Once you’ve told us, we’ll take it from there and liaise with your insurance provider. We’ll keep you updated throughout the claims process.

What information do I need to provide?

When getting a contractors insurance quote, you’ll have to give us basic details like your name, address and the type of work you regularly undertake. Your provider will also need to know the size of your business, which involves giving information regarding your annual turnover and how many employees you have. They could also request details about previous insurance claims.

Which types of contractors do you cover?

Here at Tradesman Saver, we offer the following covers for tradespeople: 

  • Building contractors insurance
  • Cladding contractors insurance
  • Cleaning contractor insurance
  • Damp proofing contractors insurance
  • Data cabling contractor insurance
  • Drainage contractors insurance
  • Fencing contractor insurance
  • Flooring contractor insurance
  • Independent consultant contractor insurance 
  • IT contractor insurance
  • Partition contractors insurance 
  • Paving contractor insurance
  • Rigging contractors insurance
  • Roofing contractors insurance 
  • Self employed contractor insurance
  • Scaffolding contractors insurance
  • Suspended ceiling contractor insurance
  • Swimming pool contractor insurance 

There are also many other types of contractors we insure.  Whether you’re looking for personal accident insurance, employer’s liability insurance or any other kind of business insurance to protect you from legal and compensation costs, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our experienced team today.

Please just contact us if your trade is not on the list. We’re more than likely able to provide a contractor insurance package to suit your needs, whether you’re self-employed or you operate a contracting business.

Contractor Trades We Cover

*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax but excludes our admin charge. 13% of new customers paid less than £54 between 1st January 2024 and 30th January 2024. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2024 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check our financial services registration status on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Back To Top
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.