What Insurance do you need for a Business?


There is a range of different types of insurance available to businesses and they all cover different risks. The main types of insurance are:

Property insurance

This type of insurance covers you if your business property is accidentally damaged or stolen.

If you take your property away from your business premises, you should check whether it is covered. You should also check whether there are any policy conditions that you need to comply with. Some property insurance policies will insist on minimum security levels are your business premises or will not cover property left in vehicles overnight, for instance.

You must insure for the full value of your property. It can be surprising to find out how much it is worth when you add up the values of all of your property and if you are underinsured in the event of a claim, you could be penalised.

Liability insurance

Liability insurance covers you if a compensation claim is made against you. It also covers and associated costs and expenses, including legal fees, and your liability insurance provider will help you handle any claims.

Employer’s liability insurance covers compensation claims made by your employees and it’s a legal requirement if you employ anyone. Public liability insurance is similar but covers claims made by people who aren’t employed by you. Public liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement but you might be contractually required to have it. Public liability insurance usually comes with products liability insurance which covers compensation claims arising as a result of a defect in something that you have sold or supplied.

Insurance at hard to beat rates

Starting at £59* per year
Get a Quote

Personal accident & sickness insurance

This type of insurance protects your income if you cannot work due to an injury or an illness. It means you don’t have to worry about how you will be able to cover your monthly outgoings and can concentrate on your recovery instead.

A weekly benefit is paid if you are off work on a temporary basis. If you will be unable to work permanently due to your illness or injury, a lump sum is payable instead.

Legal expenses insurance

This covers your legal expenses if you become involved in legal action. As well as covering the legal costs, your legal expenses insurer will also help you deal with the legal action to ensure the best possible outcome.


Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1803 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote