Why do you need Sign Writer’s Insurance?


Many sign writers are confused by sign writers insurance. Do they need it? Why do they need it? What does it cover?

To a lot of sign writers, sign writers insurance can seem to be an unnecessary expense, particularly if they’ve never found themselves having to make an insurance claim. But like all businesses, insurance is vital to protect the business against unexpected costs.

So, why do you need sign writers insurance, and what does it cover?

Why you need sign writer’s insurance

The main risk a sign writer faces arises from the fact that they are coming into contact with members of the public on a regular basis. This means that there is a risk that they could injure a member of the public or damage that person’s property.

This risk is increased where the work is undertaken at height because that means that there’s a risk that something could be dropped on a member of the public or their property. There is also a risk of injury to an employee through falls.

Like all businesses, there is a risk of property damage or loss. This could be to your business premises and its contents, or it could be your tools, equipment and materials. These should be insured against losses due to accidental damage or theft.

Financial Strength

Insurance provided by a Standard & Poor's 'A+ Stable' rated insurer
Get a Quote

Unlike employees, self-employed people don’t get sick pay, so it’s important to consider personal accident and sickness insurance to protect your income in case you are unable to work.

You might also be legally required to have some insurances. If you employ anyone, employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement and motor insurance is a legal requirement if you use a motor vehicle.

What does sign writer’s insurance cover?

As a minimum, a sign writers insurance policy should cover public and product liability insurance. These protect you if a compensation claim is made against you by a member of the public who alleges that something you have done, or a product that you have sold or supplied, has injured them or damaged their property. Ideally, the public and products liability insurance should be extended to cover pure economic losses, as standard public and products liability insurance does not cover those unless there has been an associated injury or property damage.

The policy can be extended to include employer’s liability insurance. This protects you if a compensation claim is made by an employee who claims you were responsible for them being injured, and is a legal requirement if you employ anyone.

Legal expenses insurance is also a good idea. This protects you if you find yourself involved in employment or property, compliance and regulatory matters, and even tax investigations and VAT appeals.

All risks and contract works insurance can be added to protect your property against accidental damage or losses due to theft.

Personal accident and sickness Insurance covers you if you are unable to work due to an accident or an injury. This pays either a weekly benefit or a lump sum if you are unable to work due to an injury or illness.

Motor insurance is also available. This can be on a comprehensive basis, which covers damage to your own vehicles, or on a third party fire & theft basis, which only covers damage to your vehicles if the damage was caused by a fire or a theft.

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1787 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote