Who needs Self-Employed Public Liability Insurance?


Self-employed people operate a diverse range of businesses. Some of those businesses involve more hazardous trade processes than the others. Some of those businesses involve more contact with members of the public than the others.

So, given the wide range of different types of self-employed business, who needs self-employed public liability insurance and are there any self-employed businesses that don’t need it? We took a look at the topic in more depth.

Related Pages: Plumbers Liability Insurance, Tradesmen liability Cover

Hazardous trade processes

Certain self-employed businesses involve fairly hazardous trade processes. The construction sector is a good example this.

Clearly, an architect sat in front of a computer is less likely to injure a member of the public, or damage their property, than a roofing contractor who may be working at height. The roofing contractor runs the risk of dropping things onto people and their property below, or runs the risk of starting an accidental fire due to using heat in their line of work.

Financial Strength

Insurance provided by a Standard & Poor's 'A+ Stable' rated insurer
Get a Quote

It’s because of these varying circumstances that vary from self-employed business to self-employed business, that insurance companies take the different levels of hazard and risk into their pricing – meaning a roofing contractor will be paying more for their insurance than an architect. But because the architect is someone who will be coming into contact with members of the public, whether those members of the public are clients or suppliers, there is still a risk that those members of the public could be injured or their property could be damaged, as we continue to explore below.

Contact with the public

Because self-employed public liability insurance covers a business against claims for injury or property damage made by members of the public, that allege the business in question caused the injury or damage, someone who regularly comes into contact with the public is more likely to have a claim made against them because there is an increased likelihood of injuries or property damage occurring.

For instance, a handyman working on private houses will be seeing members of the public on a daily basis, whereas someone who specialises in repairing dry stone walling in the countryside may not come into contact with members of the public anywhere near as frequently.

The level of hazard will be similar, but because the handyman is coming into contact with members of the public more often, the likelihood of a member of the public having to make a claim for injury or damage is higher.

Again, the insurance companies know that certain trades involve an increased level of contact with members of the public and they set their prices accordingly.

Potential size of claims

Even though some self-employed businesses are less likely to cause an injury or property damage due to the low-hazard nature of their operations, or the fact that they have less contact with members of the public, this does not mean that there is no chance of an accident. And the problem is that when an accident occurs, this can lead to a substantial compensation claim.

UK-based call centre

Caring and knowledgeable staff ready to assist you
Get a Quote

Severe injuries can result in compensation claims that cost hundreds of thousands of pounds. Property damage, particularly where fire or flood damage to commercial premises is involved, can easily cost millions of pounds.

So, who needs self-employed public liability insurance?

The short answer to this is everyone who is self-employed needs public liability insurance.

Accidents cannot be prevented if you are coming into contact with members of the public. Although if you need to use hazardous trade processes in your business, you are more likely to have an accident, even low-hazard trade processes can cause accidents. And when an accident occurs, the potential for that accident end up costing a significant amount of money is there.

Anyone who comes into contact with members of the public, no matter whether this happens relatively infrequently, and no matter how low-hazard their trade processes, is someone who needs self-employed public liability insurance to protect themselves and their business against the cost of potential compensation claims.

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1803 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote