Public Liability Insurance Certificate: Why Do You Need It?

4.9 / 5 Based on 1085 Reviews
Read all reviews »

The policy documentation you get when you buy insurance is important. It tells you what you’re covered for and it also tells you what you’re not covered for.

The trouble is that insurance policies are lengthy documents and the vast majority of the information contained within them is the same no matter which insurance company you use. There will be some insurers who offer cover extensions that other insurers don’t offer, and some insurers will offer slightly more restrictive cover.

Given this, you don’t want to send several dozen pages of insurance policy documentation to anyone who wants to know whether you’re insured, so insurance certificates are a good way to prove that you have insurance cover and provide a summary of your cover.


Are public liability insurance certificates a legal requirement?

Because employer’s liability insurance and motor insurance are required by law, insurance certificates proving that you have these covers are also a legal requirement.

However, public liability insurance UK is not a legal requirement. As such, you are not legally required to have a public liability insurance certificate.


So, why do you need a public liability insurance certificate?

Although public liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement, many people can require you to have this type of insurance.

If you’re working as a sub-contractor, for instance, the main contractor will often insist that you have public liability insurance as a condition of the contract. If you cannot provide evidence that you have this type of insurance, you may struggle to find work and it is possible that you will not be allowed on site.

In addition, some professional bodies and trade associations will insist that you can provide evidence that you have public liability insurance as a condition of your membership. Some local authorities will also require proof that you have this type of insurance before they will allow you to work.

A public liability insurance certificate is a convenient way to demonstrate to these different entities that you have a valid insurance policy in force.


What information does a public liability insurance certificate contain?

Employer’s liability certificates contain very basic information. The information is limited to who is insured, the insurance company and policy number, and the period of insurance.

Motor insurance certificates are also fairly basic, although they contain slightly more information because they also contain details of the vehicle that is insured and who can drive it.

Public liability insurance certificates are much more extensive because as this type of insurance isn’t a legal requirement, there can be quite large differences when it comes to the cover provided by different insurers. They still list who is insured, the insurance company and the policy number, and the period of insurance, but they also give details of the cover provided by the policy.

One of the most important details they list is the indemnity limit in the policy. The indemnity limit is the most that the insurer will pay in the event of a claim. This is important because if a contract stipulates that you are required to have public liability insurance it will also usually stipulate a minimum acceptable indemnity limit.

The also state the business description used in the insurance policy. This is important because you are only insured for the activities that are included in your business description. Main contractors need to know not just that you have a public liability insurance policy, but also that you are insured for the work that you are doing for them.

Any major cover exclusions will also be listed. This could include an exclusion of cover for heat use, a height or depth limit that restricts what work you can do or a territorial limit that means you are not insured for any work that you do outside of the UK.

Related Articles:

Are you protecting your business?

As one of the fastest growing insurance schemes for tradesmen and professionals, we know a thing or two about what makes a great insurance policy. That's why we include FREE Legal Expenses Insurance on every policy we offer. But don't take our word for it - build your personalised quote online and see what we can do for you.
Get A Quote

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1085 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £58 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2019 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Seymour House, 223 Wickham Road, Croydon, Surrey CR0 8TG. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote