Who needs Plumber’s Insurance?

Who needs Plumber’s Insurance?


Anyone working as a plumber, or related trade, needs to be covered by some form of plumbers liability insurance. Whether you are a self-employed plumber, work for a plumbing company or work as a sub-contractor, it is essential that you are protected. Here are just some of the covers worth considering, who needs them, and why you need them.

Employer’s liability insurance 


If you run a business which employs plumbers or heating engineers, you must have employer’s liability insurance in place. No matter what the size of your workforce is, you are required by law to have employer’s liability cover. This will help with the cost of any compensation or legal costs which may arise as the result of a claim brought against you or your company by one of your employees.  

Although you may do everything to ensure the safety of your employees, things can still go wrong and if one of your staff is injured or becomes ill in the course of work, you could be facing a costly claim. 

Providing you have been a diligent employer, your insurer should help the cost of any compensation which has been agreed with your employee. However, an insurer may refuse to pay out it is found you have not exercised the proper duty of care toward your employee.  


If you are a plumbing contractor, you need to make sure you have the adequate liability cover in place. If a sub-contractor you use is not operating under supervision, they will need their own insurance. Before contracting a job, you should make sure that any sub-contractors are adequately covered. 


Any sub-contractors working under supervision will be covered by the contractor’s plumbers insurance policy. If you are not working under supervision, it is your responsibility to make sure you have the proper liability insurance in place. Not only will it protect you against something going wrong, you may also be asked to provide proof of cover to any contractor. 

Public liability insurance 

Although not required by law, plumber’s public liability insurance will cover you or your business against any claims brought against you by a customer or member of the public. In the case of a self-employed plumber, it is a good idea to take out public liability cover as part of your plumber’s insurance. A leaky pipe or poorly installed boiler has the potential to cause damage to a customer’s property and, even though you may have carried out a job to a high standard, accidents can happen. Public liability cover will help towards the cost of any compensation which arises as a result of a claim made against by a customer.

A person does not need to have been a customer to bring a claim against you as damage can spread and affect neighbouring properties. That’s why it’s a good idea for any plumbing business, or self-employed plumber to have public liability cover.

Financial Strength

Insurance provided by a Standard & Poor's 'A+ Stable' rated insurer
Get a Quote

Additional cover 

Whether you run a company supplying plumbing service, are a contractor or simply work as a self-employed plumber, there are a number of useful adds-on you can make to get the best use of your plumber’s insurance policy. 

Tools cover 

Cover for your tools and equipment can come in handy if your tools are damaged or stolen. This feature of your policy will cover all types of tools and can be tailored to cover tools which are left in your vehicle overnight. 

Vehicle cover 

You may already have car or van insurance, but it may be necessary to take out cover which is tailored more for commercial use. Fleet insurance may also be available if you operate a number of vehicles as part of your plumbing business. 

Office equipment 

If you operate from a central office, you can also take out cover for computers and other equipment you use. Cover can be adjusted to protect laptops, phones and other mobile devices which you take out of the office on a regularly basis. 

Related links

Get a Quote