Get A Quote

Dog Walking Business Insurance: Explained

Home » Pet Sitting & Dog Walking Insurance » Dog Walking Business Insurance: Explained

There are a number of different types of insurance that are available to protect dog walking businesses from unexpected losses. Property insurance will be familiar to most people because it is similar to your household insurance, although some of the other types are not quite so well understood.

The insurance for dog walking businesses that are available include:

  • Property insurance
  • Employer’s liability insurance
  • Liability insurance cover
  • Personal accident and sickness insurance
  • Legal expenses insurance

Property insurance

This type of insurance covers you if your business property is accidentally damaged or stolen.

Although you might not think you have much business property to insure, it can be surprising just how much you have once you add up the value of the office equipment that you use to run your business and manage your accounts.

Remember that if you operate your business from home your household insurance might exclude cover for items that you are using to run a business.

Employer’s liability insurance

Employer’s liability insurance covers you if an employee claims compensation from you because they believe that something you have done or failed to do has resulted in them being injured.

This type of insurance is a legal requirement if you employ anyone, even if you are only employing people on a temporary or casual basis. There are heavy fines if you fail to comply with this legal requirement.

As well as paying any compensation awarded, any associated costs and expenses, including legal fees, are also covered. Your employer’s liability insurer will handle any compensation claims on your behalf so you wouldn’t have to worry about dealing with solicitors and legal issues.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is similar to employer’s liability insurance, but rather than covering compensation claims made by employees it covers compensation claims made by other people who believe that your actions have resulted in them being injured or resulted in their property being damaged.

Insurance at hard to beat rates

Starting at £59* per year

Unlike employer’s liability insurance, public liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement, but it would be unwise to trade without it. Some claims can result in compensation awards in excess of £250,000 and by the time the associated costs, expenses and legal fees have been factored in, the final settlement amount can be much higher. Even a minor injury can result in a settlement amount in excess of £1,000.

As with employer’s liability insurance, your public liability insurer will handle any compensation claims on your behalf.

Personal accident & sickness insurance

Personal accident and sickness insurance covers your income if you are unable to work if you are injured or ill. This means you can concentrate on your recovery, safe in the knowledge that you will be able to cover your monthly outgoings.

This type of insurance pays a weekly benefit if you are unable to work on a temporary basis. If you will be unable to work permanently, a lump sum is payable instead.

A lump sum is also payable in the event of death or certain other injuries, such as the loss of an eye or a limb.

Legal expenses insurance

If you find yourself involved in legal action it can be expensive. The legal fees can soon mount up.

Legal expenses insurance protects you against unexpected legal bills and covers a range of different types of legal action. As well as covering your legal costs if criminal charges are brought against you, this type of insurance also covers legal expenses arising from:

  • Contractual disputes
  • Disputes with your neighbours
  • Employment tribunals
  • Tax and VAT inspections

As well as covering your legal costs, your legal expenses insurer will also have a fully-trained team that will be able to help you deal with the legal action that you are facing.

VanSaver - Van insurance from leading insurers - Compare Quotes. £50 from me to you. Refer a friend.
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax but excludes our admin charge. 19% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2021 and 28th February 2021. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2022 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.