Do I Need Insurance to Provide PAT Tests?


All businesses need insurance to protect them against unexpected losses. Their property could be damaged or stolen. Compensation claims could be made against them.

Insurance means that in the event of these things happening, the unexpected losses are covered so the impact on the business is minimised.

The two main forms of insurance that a PAT tester needs to have are and professional indemnity insurance.

Public liability insurance

If you’re not sure what public liability insurance is, it covers you if a compensation claim is made against you because someone believes that due to something you have done or failed to do, they have been injured or their property has been damaged.

This type of insurance is particularly important for PAT testers because PAT testers come into contact with people and work on other people’s premises on a regular basis, meaning the risk of a compensation claim is increased.

Compensation claims can be expensive to settle. Some claims for injuries can result in compensation awards as high as £250,000.

As well as covering any compensation awarded, public liability insurance also covers any associated costs such as the claimant’s lost wages and other expenses. If the claimant has incurred travel costs to attend hospital appointments, for instance, those would be covered.

The legal fees are also covered. Importantly, your insurer will have a legally trained team that specialises in handling compensation claims and that team will handle the claim on your behalf. This means you would not need to deal with solicitors or get involved in potentially complex legal arguments.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance is similar to public liability insurance in that it covers compensation claims, but rather than covering claims that arise from something that you do or fail to do, it covers claims arising out of professional negligence.

As with public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance covers not just the compensation awarded against you, but also any legal fees. The insurer will handle the claim on your behalf.

Save £££ on your insurance

Customers are always telling us how much they saved by switching
Get a Quote

Unlike public liability insurance, professional indemnity insurance is usually on a “claims made” basis which means that, rather than covering incidents that occur during the period of insurance, it covers claims made against you during the period of insurance, even if the claim relates to something that happened at an earlier time.

Because compensation claims can be made years after whatever it was that led to the claim happened, it’s important to check that your professional indemnity insurance covers prior acts.

You should also bear in mind that even if you cease trading, a claim could still be made against you. Any such claims would not be covered if you have cancelled your professional indemnity insurance, but many professional indemnity insurers will allow you to buy “run off” cover which covers you for claims made against you that arise from any activities before you ceased trading.

Is insurance a legal requirement?

The only type of insurance that is a legal requirement is employers’ liability insurance if you employ anyone, and motor insurance if you are using a vehicle. All other types of insurance are optional.

However, often companies that you are working for will insist that you have public liability and professional indemnity insurance before they will allow you onto their premises. As such, if you don’t have these types of insurance you could be limited in terms of which jobs you were able to take on.

Of course, even though most insurance isn’t required by law, it can still be short-sighted to trade without it. A large compensation award could cripple a business if the business was uninsured. Similarly, if you couldn’t afford to replace any business equipment that was damaged or stolen because you didn’t have property insurance it could be a major problem because you’d be unable to trade.

Related Articles:

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1802 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote