Get A Quote

What Insurance do you need for your Gardening Business?

Home » Landscape Gardener Insurance » What Insurance do you need for your Gardening Business?

Gardening businesses range from small, one-man, home-based operations to larger businesses that trade from their own business premises and have a number of employees.

The one thing they all have in common is the fact that they face risks that could result in unexpected losses. They all need gardener’s insurance to protect them against these risks.

The risks can be broken down into a number of areas:

  • The risk of damage of loss to the business property
  • The risk of a compensation claim being made against the business
  • The risk of the business becoming involved in legal action
  • The risk of loss of income due to injury or illness

Damage or loss to business property

If you’re a small, home-based operation, sometimes it’s not worth insuring your business property. It’s worth adding up the value of your property, though, because sometimes when you include the office equipment you use to manage your business and communicate with your clients, the total value can be surprising. Also, note that in this situation, your office equipment might not be covered by your household insurance.

If you’re a larger business operating from your own business premises, you’ll definitely need insurance against accidental damage to your business property or loss of that property due to theft.

Compensation claims

Compensation claims can be expensive to settle. A serious injury could result in a compensation award in excess of £250,000 and there could also be a claim for loss of wages if the claimant was unable to work as a result of their injury and other associated expenses.

Liability insurance covers this type of claim. In addition, the liability insurer will handle the claim on your behalf so you don’t need to worry about dealing with solicitors and potentially complex legal arguments. Your liability insurance also covers any legal fees if a compensation claim is made against you.

Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ anyone, even if you only employ people on a temporary or casual basis. It covers compensation claims made against you by your employees.

Public liability insurance is similar, although it covers compensation claims made against you by members of the public and other third parties. Public liability insurance isn’t required by law, but it may be a contractual condition that you have it so without it, you can be restricted in terms of what work you are able to accept. Public liability insurance usually comes with products liability insurance which covers compensation claims arising from defects in products that you have sold or supplied.

If you are supplying garden designs as stand-alone designs and aren’t doing the gardening work yourself, you will also need professional indemnity insurance which covers you against compensation claims due to any errors and omissions in the designs that you have supplied.

Trusted for over 35 years

Providing insurance and services to businesses since 1984

Legal action

A business can become involved in legal action for a number of reasons such as:

  • Criminal charges being brought against it
  • Employment tribunals
  • Disputes with clients or neighbours
  • Tax/VAT inspections

All of these can result in unexpected legal costs and often these legal costs can be substantial. Legal expenses insurance protects you against unexpected legal costs, and your legal expenses insurer will help you deal with any legal action.

Protecting your income

Often, if you’re unable to work because you’ve been injured or you’re ill, you’re unable to earn. But your bills still need to be paid at the end of each and every month.

Personal accident and sickness insurance protects your income in this scenario by paying a weekly benefit while you’re unable to work. If you will be permanently incapacitated, it pays a lump sum instead. A lump sum is also payable if you die, or in certain circumstances such as if you lose an eye or a limb.

VanSaver - Van insurance from leading insurers - Compare Quotes. £50 from me to you. Refer a friend.
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax but excludes our admin charge. 19% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2021 and 28th February 2021. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2022 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.