What is Plumber’s Insurance?


A career in plumbing can be incredibly rewarding, but just like any other job, the trade has its perils. If you have your own plumbing business, you may already know that you need comprehensive plumbers insurance to protect it against certain risks. Whether you are a plumber, heating engineer, bathroom installer or pipe fitter, there are some covers which you may need legally. Moreover, you will want to get insurance anyway, because this is a good way to protect your business from various dangers.


Why do you need insurance for your plumbing business?

As a plumber, you need specialist insurance protection whether you are self-employed or running your own business. The policy you take out needs to offer a foundation of essential covers, as well as other coverage options that will provide you with the right type of comprehensive protection you need for your business.

In addition, if you have employees, you will need to purchase employers’ liability insurance. This is an optional cover that can be added to Tradesman Saver’s public liability insurance policy for plumbers, but it’s also a legal requirement to have if you have anybody working for you, including direct employees and sub contractors, unless you are a sole trader and the employees are close members of your family.


What cover does plumber’s insurance provide?

When you take out plumbers insurance with Tradesman Saver, you will get public liability insurance, products liability insurance and legal expenses cover, as well as cover for financial loss. You can also get extra cover for your contract works, tools, business and office equipment, as well as employer’s liability insurance, if this applies to you.


Public liability insurance

Even though public liability insurance is not a legal requirement for plumbers, it is a good idea to have it because it offers you protection against any financial liabilities that you may face as a consequence of the work you provide for your clients.

For example, if there is a pipe leaking after you have completed a job and the building is damaged as a consequence, your insurance policy would cover the agreed amount of compensation to your client.  As a plumber, you will know that the damage caused by a leaking pipe can be extensive.

One Tradesman Saver customer recently caused damage to a clients property which cost more than £150,000 to rectify when a faulty pipe fitting leaked while the property was unoccupied over the weekend.  There was extensive damage to the structure of the building, interior decorations and two floors below.  Their Tradesman Saver policy came to the rescue and covered the cost of the repairs together with the legal fees involved in defending the claim.

Moreover, this type of insurance offers you protection if a member of the public were to be injured as a result of your work. This means that the policy will cover any legal costs, as well as compensation payments that may arise in this situation.

Cover is available from £1,000,000 to £5,000,000 with higher limits available on request.


Products liability insurance

Products liability insurance is included as standard as part of the Tradesman Saver package.  This will provide protection in the event that a product you sell, supply or install causes injury or damage as a result of a fault.

For example, if you install a faulty radiator which leaks and damages a customers property, the customer can hold you liable for the damage.  Providing the leak was caused by a fault with the radiator (rather than a fault with the installation), your products liability insurance will meet any claims for compensation.

In the majority of instances, we will pass the claim for the faulty product back to the manufacturer of the product but, as the plumber who installed the product, the claim will first be made against you and therefore products liability insurance is very important.  Many plumbers insurance providers only provide cover for public liability and do not offer products liability insurance, so make sure you have this vital cover.

Cover is available from £1,000,000 to £5,000,000 with higher limits available on request.


Financial loss insurance

Financial loss insurance is very important for a plumber.  This cover protects you in the event that a customer makes a claim for financial loss which has not been caused by injury or property damage.

For example, if a customer is unable to work as a result of an injury caused by you, this financial loss would be included under your public liability insurance.  BUT, if a customer were due to open their new shop on a certain date and were forced to delay the opening due to you not installing their new central heating system in time,  they may have a valid claim against you for any financial losses they have suffered.

Cover is available from £10,000 to £50,000 with higher limits available on request.


Employer’s liability insurance

Unlike public liability insurance, you are required by law to have employer’s liability insurance if you have one or more employees. According to the law, you need to have at least £5 million of employer’s liability insurance, and you can be fined up to £2,500 if you do not have the correct cover in place.  The Tradesman Saver policy provides £10 million cover for employer’s liability insurance.

Even if you only use temporary employees or labour only sub contractors, you will still need employer’s liability insurance as these staff will be acting under your instruction and could suffer an injury and claim compensation as a result.

The only exception is for sole traders who only employ close family members, there is no legal requirement for employer’s liability insurance but it is advisable to have this cover for your added protection.


Tools & equipment insurance

An entire range of extra covers is available under a plumber’s insurance policy, so you can choose to tailor your policy to suit your needs.

For example, you could take out insurance cover for all your tools, whether they’re hand or power ones. If you have this type of policy, you will generally get protection for all your tools if they are stolen or damaged. Your tools will be covered on an “all risks” basis and will include cover for theft from site or from an unattended vehicle (although a higher excess may apply).

Cover is available from £1,000 to £5,000 per person with higher limits available on request


Business contents insurance

Besides getting cover for your work tools, you may also want protection for all your office equipment such as computers, desks and any other office furniture you purchase for your business. This is covered under business contents insurance, but please note, it only offers cover for office equipment stored at your home premises, and not for office equipment stored at another premises.

Cover is available from £5,000 to £20,000 with higher limits available on request


Contract works insurance

What would you do if the new bathroom you were installing were to be damaged by fire half way through completion?  The fire was an accident and you cannot expect for your client to pay for the bathroom to be installed again.  On the other hand, you would not want to foot the bill either.  In this example, contract works insurance would be your saviour.

Contract works insurance from Tradesman Saver will cover the cost of repairing or replacing the property should it be damaged before it’s practical completion.  Please note that this cover will only provide insurance for the contract you are working on, not for the existing property.  So if you were installing a bathroom in a house, the contract works insurance will cover the bathroom being installed but the homeowner should still have insurance cover for the property itself.  Included as standard, there would also be cover for your own plant, tools and equipment and any hired in plant too.

Cover is available for contracts with a value between £50,000 and £500,000 and higher limits are available on request.  Cover for own plant and equipment is available from £5,000 to £75,000 and hired in plant is included with a maximum value of £50,000 any one item.

Get your quote now!

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 261 Reviews
Read all reviews »

Fantastic customer services and th3 cheapest for my needs. Thanks

22 hours ago

Best price and very straightforward. Will recommend to all my fellow workers!

on Feb 22nd

nice &simple for trade heads

on Feb 20th
© Copyright 2018 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver is a product of Henry Seymour & Co (Barkdene Ltd) which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Registered in England No 1842617 Insurance Brokers. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote