Do Bricklayers need Public Liability Insurance?

4.9 / 5 Based on 1016 Reviews
Read all reviews »

Just like insurers, bricklayers provide protection too. With each brick they lay, a wall is sturdier and able to withstand whatever the world can throw at it.

But bricklayers themselves need bricklayers insurance too. As carefully as they take their craft, accidents can happen, especially on a busy building site. That’s why it’s essential to have public liability insurance if you are working as a bricklayer.


Public liability cover for brickies

There’s always a lot going on any construction site and bricklayers are often one of them as cogs in a busy machine. Like other construction trades, they’ll know their job inside out. However, even the most experienced ‘bricky’ can’t foresee accidents, so it’s always best to be prepared.

If someone is injured on a building site, becomes ill or has their property damaged, they may seek compensation from you if they feel you are responsible. The claimant could be a client, worker or even a member of the public. If they make a claim against you, then your public liability cover will help you fight such a claim, including legal expenses and any compensation which is awarded to the claimant.

Public liability claims can run into tens and thousands of pounds and could devastate your construction business if you do. It helps have the adequate cover in place.


How much will a bricklayer be covered for?

All public liability insurance policies for bricklayers come with indemnity limits. This is the maximum amount an insurer will pay out for any single claim. Indemnity limits are usually set at £1m, £2m or £5m. The limit is usually determined by the size of your operation and the perceived level of risk involved.


What other insurance do bricklayers need?

Personal accident & sickness

If you are a self-employed bricky, you may want to consider personal accident and sickness insurance. This will help provide for you if you have suffered an accident or illness and are unable to work for an extended period of time. It can provide a lump sum or regular payments when you are out of action and unable to earn.


Employer’s liability insurance

If you work as a bricklayer and employ other staff, whether it’s contractors or part-time workers, you are required by law to have employer’s liability insurance. This protects you against claims made against you by your employees if they have been injured, fallen ill or had their property damaged as a result of working for you.

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1016 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*Based on £1,000,000 public liability, £250,000 legal expenses & £10,000 accidental death cover for a sole trader © Copyright 2019 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver is a product of Henry Seymour & Co (Barkdene Ltd) which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.Registered in England No 1842617 Insurance Brokers. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote