Handyman Public Liability Insurance: Explained


If you’re a handyman, you’ll need handyman public liability insurance to protect your business against risks. It’s the main type of insurance that you need because it covers the risks that can have the biggest impact.

So why do you need it, what does it cover and what sort of claims can arise?

Why do you need it?

Unlike employer’s liability insurance, which you’re legally required to have if you employ anyone, you’re not usually legally required to have public liability insurance.

However, you may be contractually required to have public liability insurance because some of your clients might insist that you have it. You might also be required to have this type of insurance as a condition of your membership of a trade body.

You also need it because compensation claims can be difficult to deal with and can be expensive to settle.

What does it cover?

Public liability insurance covers you if someone claims compensation from you because they believe that you have done something or failed to do something and they have been injured or their property has been damaged as a result.

It doesn’t just cover the compensation awarded, but also covers any other associated costs and expenses. This includes any legal fees, and your public liability insurer will defend any claims that are made against you on your behalf.

Insurance at hard to beat rates

Starting at £59* per year
Get a Quote

It is important to make sure that your public liability insurance includes a financial loss cover extension. A standard public liability insurance policy only covers claims involving injuries or property damage, so without this extension, you would be uninsured in the event of a claim for a purely economic loss being made against you.

What sort of claims can arise?

Public liability insurance covers your legal liability. To be legally liable, you must have breached your duty of care to someone and as a result, a reasonably foreseeable loss must have occurred.

Often, this means someone will claim for you because they have been injured as a result of your actions. Serious injuries can result in compensation awards in excess of £250,000. By the time the associated costs and expenses are included, the final settlement can be much higher.

Claims for property damage are also common, and these can also be expensive to settle. Claims for accidental flooding or accidental fires that have been started due to heat use can be particularly expensive.

Other Articles:

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1793 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote