A Guide To Self-Employed Handyman Insurance

A Guide To Self-Employed Handyman Insurance


As a self-employed handyman, your insurance cover is an important part of your business so it’s vital that you get it right. Insurance is used to financially protect your business, the public and your employees in the event of an accident.

The two main types of insurance you’ll need as a self-employed handyman are public liability insurance and employer’s liability insurance.

So, why do you need these insurances?

Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement for any business with employees and is needed if you employ anyone for any length of time, under any contracted hours. It’s mainly there to protect your business against claims made by employees who are injured in the duty of their work or on business premises and ensures that fair compensation and medical costs can be covered regardless of the financial standing of the business.

Public liability insurance, however, is not usually legally required but is often a contractual obligation for membership within certain trade bodies and will likely be part of the terms of a client contract. Public liability insurance protects your business against expensive claims made by the public (anyone who is not an employee) in the event of an accident. It’s an incredibly important part of any business, especially those working on a self-employment basis, as compensation claims can be incredibly expensive, difficult to navigate and very distressing.

What exactly does it cover?

Accidents happen, as does human error, which is exactly what public liability insurance is for. It covers you and your business in the event that a member of the public makes a claim against you for compensation due to damage to their property or damage to themselves (a physical injury) which they believe happened as a direct result of actions on your (or your company’s/employees) part.

As well as the cost of the compensation claim, public liability insurance also covers your legal fees and any other cost accrued as a result of the claim. It also ensures you don’t need to worry about hiring lawyers or defending the case yourself if a claim is made against you, as your insurer will defend the claim on your behalf.

Trusted for over 35 years

Providing insurance and services to businesses since 1984
Get a Quote

Most standard public liability insurance policies simply cover injury or damage to property and don’t include a clause for claims made for financial losses, therefore it’s important to ensure your policy includes financial loss cover so you’re covered in the event someone makes a claim based on economic losses accrued.

What sort of claims can arise?

Public liability insurance covers claims where you are seen to have been legally liable for the loss of or damage to property as well as personal injury due to a breach of your reasonable duty of care. Claims are only deemed as valid if liability can be proven and the losses or injury incurred as a result could be deemed ‘reasonably foreseeable’.

The most common claims are people who have been injured as a direct (or sometimes indirect) result of something you, your company or your employees have done or not done. These kinds of claims can see compensation of over £250,000 awarded to claimants with serious injuries, not accounting for the legal costs and other expenses.

Claims against businesses or self-employed individuals relating to the damage of property are also commonly seen and can be just as expensive, if not more so on occasion, to pay out for. As a self-employed handyman, it’s essential to ensure you’re covered in the event of accidental flooding, fires, general property damage and the accidental injury to any member of the – going up against a claim without handyman insurance can devastate your thriving business.

*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote