What insurance do I need to be a courier?
The most important cover for couriers is public liability insurance, which protects your business from any claims related to personal injuries or property damage for which you’ve been deemed responsible. Employer’s liability is also essential if you employ staff, while certain additional covers may also be beneficial.
Covers we provide are:
- Automatic: All Tradesman Saver policies automatically include five covers as standard, including public liability insurance.
- Optional: Employer’s liability insurance is an example of just one of our optional covers that may benefit your courier business.
Covers we don’t provide:
- Motor insurance
- Goods in transit insurance
Learn more about what insurance couriers need:
Which insurance couriers needParcel Delivery Service
Tradesman Saver’s Public Liability Cover For Couriers
Our standard cover is:
- Up to £5 million cover for public and products liability
- £10,000 cover for any financial loss (£50K cover optional)
- Worldwide liability cover for temporary work abroad for up to 14 days (excluding the USA and Canada)
Public liability insurance should be considered by all couriers, as this covers your business if you or a member of your team accidentally causes damage to property or injures a member of the public. Even the smallest mistake could have grave repercussions—for example, what if you accidentally drop a heavy parcel on a person’s foot?
With public liability cover, you won’t need to fear the unexpected, because we will cover all costly claims. This, along with legal expenses, accidental death and more, is automatically included in all of our courier insurance policies. Our standard insurance package can give your business has the protection it needs to function as normal, no matter what unexpected incidents occur.
Some of our optional covers may also be valuable to your overall courier insurance package. Income protection is particularly worth considering, as this entitles you to regular payments if you need time off from work due to illness or injury. Meanwhile, personal accident insurance, guarantees you a lump sum to handle business costs and any lost income if you or any employees are permanently unable to continue working. Get your free quote today to start putting together the perfect courier insurance package for your business.
Online & Anywhere
We like to keep things simple. Your quote, purchase and documents are all available online, anytime.
No need to wait for your documents. Our tradesman cover starts from the moment you purchase.
Public liability, products liability, financial loss, legal expenses and accidental death cover as standard.
Cashflow is important to every business. Spread the cost by paying in easy monthly instalments.
Finding the right insurance policy for your courier business can be challenging, especially considering all the new terms associated with your policy. However, it doesn’t have to be an uphill battle. No matter what kind of courier you are, what vehicle you drive, and what goods you deliver, your insurance should always include the following at the very least:
Covers provided by Tradesman Saver
- Public liability: Huge compensation claims could be made against your business if you or an employee accidentally injures someone or damages their property. You may also have to pay additional expenses such as legal costs and lost wages, and the most serious injuries could result in claims as high as hundreds of thousands of pounds. Luckily, public liability insurance means your insurer will cover this for you, so you can avoid legal paperwork or financial struggles, and concentrate on running your business instead.
- Employer’s liability: If your business employ a team of staff, even on a temporary or casual basis, you are legally required to have employer’s liability insurance. This covers compensation claims made against you by your own employees, rather than members of the public. Other optional covers may also be beneficial to your particular business. Please browse these above.
Other covers you may want to consider
- Goods in transit: As a courier, you are responsible for any losses, such as if any property is stolen or broken while in your care. Goods in transit insurance protects you here, though there are usually limits of the maximum value per item, and total value of each consignment. Therefore, you must make sure that you aren’t underinsured, in case you need to make a claim. Please note that Tradesman Saver does not provide goods in transit insurance and you will need to find a different provider for this particular cover.
- Motor insurance: Though Tradesman Saver cannot insure your vehicle, we strongly recommend that you arrange this before starting your courier business. This protects you if someone is injured in an accident involving your vehicle, and covers any damage to their property as well. Comprehensive motor insurance also includes any damage sustained to your own vehicle. Most standard policies exclude business use, so you will need to tell your insurer that you are a courier, which will usually mean adding an additional premium.
Courier Insurance: Frequently Asked Questions
How much does courier insurance cost?
You can activate our standard courier insurance package—which includes public liability, product liability, legal expenses, financial loss and accidental death—for less than £59. However, the final price could vary depending on factors such as the nature of your work, the size of your client base, and whether you require any of our optional covers.
How does courier insurance work?
If you believe you’re in a position to make a courier insurance claim, contact us with all the details of the incident—provided that it occurred after the policy start date. We will then evaluate your claim and offer any advice you need throughout the procedure. If your claim meets all the required standards, you’ll receive your funds from Tradesman Saver as soon as possible.
How do I get courier insurance?
To put together your personalised courier insurance policy, you can get a free quote online, which can be activated instantly to provide immediate protection for your business.