What is Data Cabling Contractor’s Insurance & what does it cover?


Although data cabling is relatively safe, accidents can still happen. If you are working at height, for instance, there’s the risk of falling or dropping something onto someone or their property. There’s also the risk of your tools, materials and other property being stolen. You may incur additional costs or lose income if you’re unable to work through injury or illness.

You can’t stop these accidents, but you can stop them causing problems for your business by making sure that you have the right insurance to protect your business. But what is the right insurance for a data cabling contractor?

Liability insurance

Compensation claims can be expensive to settle. By the time legal fees, lost wages and other expenses are factored in, a compensation claim for a serious injury can easily reach six figures. Most businesses would struggle when faced with that level of cost and some could even end up facing bankruptcy. Even a claim for a minor injury could cost over £1,000.

Liability insurance protects you against such compensation claims. It also provides you with a defence against such claims so you don’t have to worry about dealing with potentially complicated legal issues.

Employer’s liability insurance protects you against compensation claims made by employees who allege that they have been injured and you’re responsible for their injury. Employer’s liability insurance is required by law.

Insurance at hard to beat rates

Starting at £59* per year
Get a Quote

Public and products liability insurance is similar, but rather than protecting you against compensation claims made by employees, it protects you against compensation claims made by members of the public who allege that you are responsible for an injury they have sustained, or damage to their property, either due to something you have done or failed to do, or due to a defect in a product that you have sold or supplied.

Because public and products liability insurance usually only cover compensation claims arising from an injury or property damage, it’s important to make sure that your products and public liability insurance contains a financial loss extension. This means that you will be covered if a claim is made against you for a purely economic loss.

Property Insurance

Your property could be accidentally damaged or stolen, so it’s important to insure it so that you’re not out of pocket in this eventuality. You should make sure that you insure it for its full value because if you’re underinsured you’ll have a problem if you need to make a claim.

As much of your work will be undertaken on site, you should make sure that you have contract works insurance. This covers your tools, equipment and materials when they are on site. It also covers any hired-in equipment that you’re responsible for and covers your work in progress.

Other types of insurance

There are a number of other types of insurance that you need to consider.

Motor insurance is a legal requirement if you use a vehicle anywhere that the public can access. You could face serious penalties if you are caught using an uninsured vehicle and your vehicle could be confiscated.

Personal accident and sickness insurance replaces your lost income if you’re unable to work because you have been injured or have fallen sick. It pays a weekly benefit while you are incapacitated or a lump sum if you’re permanently incapacitated.

Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs if legal action is taken against you. It covers a range of legal action, including employment tribunals, customer disputes and tax/VAT inspections.

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1802 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote