Who needs Cleaner’s Insurance?

Who needs Cleaner’s Insurance?


Think about anything that can gather dirt and there’s probably a cleaning service available to get it gleaming again.

Homes, inside and out, windows, furniture, carpets, machinery, vehicles and much more. You can hire a cleaner to get the grime off just about anything these days and, with the growing number of specialist cleaners out there, there is also a wide range of cleaner’s insurance products available to suit every type of cleaning business.

If you work as a cleaner, you should be covered by business insurance for cleaners. Even if you are self-employed and clean a few houses in your local area, it’s a good idea to be covered in case anything goes wrong.

Cleaner’s insurance can be taken out by self-employed cleaners, owners of cleaning services companies, as well as contractors and sub-contractors who carry out cleaning jobs on behalf of a third party. Before you stick a mop in a bucket, plug in a vacuum cleaner or tackle glass-fronted skyscraper, it’s a good idea to make sure you have the correct cleaner’s insurance in place. There are many aspects to cleaner’s insurance, just as there are many different types of cleaners, but you will find that there some core features of all cleaner’s insurance policies.

Employer’s liability insurance

If you run a cleaning services company, you are required by law to have employer’s liability insurance. Whether you have a workforce of one or 100, you need to protect your employees and your company. Employer’s liability insurance will help meet the cost of any compensation an employee claims after being injured or falling ill while carrying out their duties. It can also help towards legal costs arising from any action brought against you by someone who works for you.

Employer’s liability covers you in the event of injury, disease or death, and pay outs can sometimes be in the millions of pounds – costs which could cripple your business.

Most types of workers are covered by employer’s liability insurance, whether they are part-time, full-time, freelance or contractors. In the case of sub-contractors who don’t work under supervision, they may require additional cover and you should check to ensure they have evidence of this cover in place.

Financial Strength

Insurance provided by a Standard & Poor's 'A+ Stable' rated insurer
Get a Quote

Public liability insurance

Although not required by law, it is strongly recommended that you have public liability insurance which can protect you against a range of unfortunate mishaps. In the case of a self-employed cleaner, a claim made against you by a client could spell the end of your business.

Anything from slipping on a wet floor to falling ill due to cleaning products you have used, can lead to a client taking a case for compensation. Injury or illness can lead to medical bills, loss of earning due to an inability to work and, if a you are found to be responsible, you could end up forking out hundreds of thousands of pounds in compensation.

Even someone who isn’t a client can take a claim against you. A member of the public may be able to prove that they have suffered adversely as a result of your cleaning.

Self-employed public liability cover will help you pay any compensation and legal costs which arise from a claim made against you.

Additional cover

Although there are key aspects which are essential to any cleaner’s insurance policy, you do have the option of some extras which will help you tailor the policy to your needs. These include treatment risks, cover for clients’ keys, employee theft and cover for your business premises, to name but a few.

Related Articles:

Get a Quote