Get A Quote

What insurance is needed for Domestic House Cleaning?

Home » Cleaners Insurance » What insurance is needed for Domestic House Cleaning?

If you’re running a domestic house cleaning business, you’ll need to arrange insurance to protect yourself against the risks you’ll be facing and the unexpected losses that these risks can lead to.

Domestic house cleaning businesses range from small, one-person, home-based businesses to larger businesses operating from their own business premises. The cleaner’s insurance that you need will depend on what sort of business you’re running.

Property insurance

Property insurance covers your business property against losses due to accidental damage or theft. You can cover your business premises as well as its contents.

If you’re running a smaller business from home, you might think that you don’t need to insure your business property because you don’t have much to insure, but it’s worth adding up the value because it can be surprising to find out just how much your business property is worth when you include your office equipment such as the computer you use to manage your business admin.

Also, if you are running a home-based business bear in mind that your business property may not be covered by your household insurance.

Employer’s liability insurance

Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ anyone, even if you only employ them on a temporary or casual basis. There are heavy penalties if you are caught trading without it.

This type of insurance covers you if an employee claims compensation from you because they allege that something you did, or failed to do, resulted in them being injured.

As well as covering any compensation awarded, any associated costs and expenses – including the legal fees – are covered. Your insurer will help you handle any claims made against you so you won’t have to worry about dealing with legal issues.

Save £££ on your insurance

Customers are always telling us how much they saved by switching

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is similar to employer’s liability insurance, but it covers you if a member of the public rather than an employee claims compensation from you.

Unlike employer’s liability insurance, public liability insurance is not a legal requirement. However, some compensation claims for serious injuries can cost in excess of £250,000 to settle so it would be unwise to consider trading without it.

As an example, if you’ve failed to warn people that a floor could be slippery as you’ve just mopped it and someone slipped and fell, that person could claim compensation from you if they were injured. You would be legally liable because you’d failed to provide the warning, but your public liability insurer would defend the claim against you on your behalf and pay any compensation awarded against you.

A standard public liability insurance policy only covers compensation claims involving injuries or property damage, so you should ensure that you have a financial loss cover extension. This extends the cover so that compensation claims involving purely economic losses are also covered.

Legal expenses insurance

Legal expenses insurance covers your legal bills if you end up being involved in legal action. A wide range of different types of legal action are covered, including:

  • Criminal charges
  • Disputes with neighbours
  • Contractual disputes with clients
  • Tax/VAT inspections
  • Employment tribunals

As well as covering your legal bills, your legal expenses insurer will be able to help you deal with any legal situations.

Personal accident & sickness insurance

If you’re unable to work because you’ve been injured or you’re ill, you’ll be unable to earn. Personal accident and sickness insurance covers your earnings if you find yourself in this situation, meaning that you’ll still be able to cover your bills.

A weekly benefit is paid if you are temporarily incapacitated. If you are permanently incapacitated, a lump sum is payable instead. A lump sum is also payable if you die, or in the event of certain specified injuries such as the loss or an eye or a limb.

VanSaver - Van insurance from leading insurers - Compare Quotes. £50 from me to you. Refer a friend.
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax but excludes our admin charge. 19% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2021 and 28th February 2021. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2022 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.