Get a quote
Home Catering Insurance The Complete Guide to Catering Insurance 

The Complete Guide to Catering Insurance 

Running a successful catering business requires more than just culinary skills and a passion for food. Whether you’re a mobile caterer, private chef, or managing a catering company, having the right insurance cover is essential to protect your business from potential risks.

Tradesman Saver (the UK’s leading provider of specialist insurance policies for tradespeople) has put together this comprehensive guide that will walk you through everything you need to know about catering insurance, from the types of cover available to common questions and concerns.

Why Do Caterers Need Insurance?

Catering insurance is designed to safeguard your business against the unique risks associated with food preparation, service, and delivery. Some of the key reasons why caterers need insurance include:

  1. Protecting your business equipment: From kitchen appliances to catering vans and trailers, your business relies on expensive equipment to operate. Insurance can help cover the cost of repairs or replacements if your equipment is damaged, lost, or stolen.
  2. Covering legal expenses: If a customer falls ill or suffers an injury as a result of your catering service, you could face costly legal claims. Liability insurance can help cover the cost of legal fees and compensation payouts.
  3. Meeting contractual requirements: Many venues and event organisers require caterers to have adequate insurance cover before allowing them to operate on their premises.
  4. Safeguarding your reputation: In the event of a claim against your business, having insurance can help minimise the financial impact and protect your reputation in the industry.

What are the Different Types of Catering Insurance?

There are several types of insurance cover available for catering businesses, depending on your specific needs and circumstances. Some of the most common types of catering insurance include:

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance is one of the most essential types of cover for caterers. It provides protection against claims made by third parties for bodily injury or property damage caused by your business activities. For example, if a customer slips and falls at your catering event, or if you accidentally damage a venue’s fixtures and fittings, public liability insurance can help cover the cost of compensation and legal fees.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you employ staff, even on a part-time or temporary basis, you’re legally required to have employers’ liability insurance. This type of cover protects your business against claims made by employees for work-related injuries or illnesses.

Product Liability Insurance

Product liability insurance covers claims arising from injury or illness caused by the food you’ve provided. For example, if a customer suffers food poisoning after consuming your catering, product liability insurance can help cover the cost of compensation and legal fees.

Business Equipment Insurance

Your catering business likely relies on a range of expensive equipment, from ovens and refrigerators to serving dishes and utensils. Business equipment insurance can help cover the cost of repairs or replacements if your equipment is damaged, lost, or stolen.

Legal Expenses Insurance

Legal expenses insurance can help cover the cost of legal fees if your business faces a dispute or claim, such as an employment tribunal or contract disagreement.

Insurance at hard to beat rates

Starting at £54* per year

How Much Does Catering Insurance Cost?

The cost of catering insurance varies depending on several factors, including the size of your business, the types of cover you require, and your claims history. At Tradesman Saver, catering insurance starts from less than £54* per year, with the option to pay monthly or annually.

To find out how much catering insurance might cost for your business, simply fill out our online form for a quick and easy quote. We’ll take into account your specific needs and circumstances to provide you with a tailored insurance package that offers the right level of cover at a competitive price.

Frequently Asked Questions About Catering Insurance:

What level of cover do I need for my catering business?

The level of cover you need depends on the specific risks associated with your catering business. As a general rule, it’s recommended to have at least £1 million in public liability cover, with higher limits available for larger businesses or those with higher risk profiles.

Can I buy catering insurance online?

Yes, at Tradesman Saver, you can buy catering insurance online in just a few clicks. Simply fill out our online form to get a quote, and if you’re happy with the price and level of cover, you can purchase your policy instantly.

Is catering insurance tax deductible?

In most cases, yes. Catering insurance is considered a business expense, which means you can typically deduct the cost of your premiums from your taxable income. However, it’s always best to check with your accountant or tax advisor to ensure you’re claiming correctly.

How do I make a claim on my catering insurance policy?

If you need to make a claim on your catering insurance policy, the first step is to contact your insurance provider as soon as possible. They will guide you through the claims process and let you know what documentation and evidence you need to provide.

Get Comprehensive Catering Insurance with Tradesman Saver

At Tradesman Saver, we understand the unique risks and challenges faced by catering businesses. That’s why we offer flexible catering insurance policies tailored to your specific needs, with cover available for public liability, employers’ liability, business equipment, and more.

Whether you’re a mobile caterer, private chef, or running a catering company, we can help you find the right level of cover to protect your business. Our policies start from less than £54* per year, with the option to pay monthly or annually for added convenience.

To get a quote for catering insurance, simply fill out our online form or give us a call on 0808 121 8748. Our friendly and knowledgeable team will be happy to answer any questions you may have and help you find the right insurance package for your business.

Don’t leave your catering business exposed to unnecessary risks. Get comprehensive cover with Tradesman Saver today and enjoy peace of mind knowing that your business is protected.

Tradesman Saver provides insurance for caterers. For further information, please see our Tradesman Insurance or Who We Cover pages.

This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2024 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check our financial services registration status on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Back To Top
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.