Get a quote
Home Carpenters & Joiners Insurance Who Needs Carpenter’s Insurance & What Does It Cover?

Who Needs Carpenter’s Insurance & What Does It Cover?

Carpenters and joiners face unique risks in their line of work. From accidental property damage to injuries sustained on the job, having the right carpenters and joiners insurance coverage is essential for protecting your business and livelihood.

This comprehensive guide from the insurance team at Tradesman Saver explores who needs carpenter’s insurance, what types of cover are available, and how to find the best policy for your specific needs.

Do I Need Carpenter’s Insurance?

If you’re a self-employed carpenter or joiner, having appropriate insurance coverage is crucial. Even if you’re extremely careful in your work, accidents can happen. Carpenter’s insurance can protect you from financial losses arising from:

  • Property damage caused by your work
  • Injuries to yourself or others on the job
  • Legal fees and compensation claims
  • Loss or damage to your tools and equipment

Without insurance, you could be personally liable for these costs, which can be financially devastating for your business.

Is insurance a legal requirement for carpenters?

While some types of insurance, such as employers’ liability, are legally required, others, like public liability, are optional but highly recommended. Having comprehensive insurance coverage not only protects your business, but it can give your clients peace of mind.

What Types of Insurance Do Carpenters and Joiners Need?

There are several types of insurance that carpenters and joiners should consider:

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance is one of the most important types of cover for carpenters and joiners. It protects you if a member of the public, a client, or a supplier suffers an injury or property damage due to your work. For example, if you accidentally damage a client’s floor while installing cabinets, your public liability insurance would cover the cost of repairs and any legal fees.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you employ any staff, even part-time or temporary workers, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement in the UK. It covers you if an employee becomes ill or injured as a result of working for you.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional indemnity insurance protects you if a client claims that your advice or workmanship has caused them financial loss. For example, if you design a bespoke piece of furniture that fails and causes damage, professional indemnity insurance would cover the cost of rectifying the issue and any associated legal fees.

Tools and Equipment Insurance

As a carpenter or joiner, your tools and equipment are essential to your work. Tools and equipment insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing your gear if it’s lost, stolen, or damaged.

Personal Accident Insurance

If you’re unable to work due to an injury or illness, personal accident insurance can provide a financial safety net. It can help cover your living expenses and business overheads while you recover.

Save £££ on your insurance

Customers are always telling us how much they saved by switching

How Much Does Carpenter’s Insurance Cost?

The cost of carpenter’s insurance varies depending on factors such as:

  • The size of your business
  • Your annual turnover
  • The types and levels of cover you need
  • Your claims history

On average, a self-employed carpenter can expect to pay around £150-£500 per year for a comprehensive insurance package. However, premiums can be higher or lower depending on your specific circumstances.

It’s important to compare quotes from multiple insurers to find the best deal. Look for a policy that offers the right level of cover for your needs at a competitive price.

What level of cover do I need?

The level of cover you need depends on the size and nature of your business. As a general rule, it’s recommended to have at least £1 million in public liability cover and £5 million in employers’ liability cover. Speak to an insurance broker for personalised advice on your specific needs.

How can I find the best carpenter’s insurance?

To find the best carpenter’s insurance, compare quotes from multiple providers and look for a policy that offers comprehensive coverage at a competitive price. Consider working with a specialist tradesman insurance provider like Tradesman Saver, who understands the unique risks faced by carpenters and joiners.

Protect Your Carpentry Business with Tradesman Saver

At Tradesman Saver, we specialise in providing comprehensive insurance solutions for carpenters, joiners, and other tradespeople. Our policies are designed to protect your business against the unique risks you face, with options including:

  • Public liability insurance up to £5 million
  • Employers’ liability insurance up to £10 million
  • Professional indemnity insurance up to £500,000
  • Tools and equipment cover up to £10,000
  • Personal accident cover up to £500 per week

We understand that every carpentry business is different, which is why we offer flexible cover options tailored to your specific needs. Our online quote system makes it easy to get a competitive price in just a few clicks, with instant coverage available.

Plus, our UK-based claims team is available 24/7 to provide support when you need it most. We’re committed to making insurance simple, so you can focus on what you do best – creating beautiful, functional woodwork.

Get a Quote Today

Don’t leave your carpentry business exposed. Get a quick, competitive quote from Tradesman Saver today and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with comprehensive insurance coverage.

This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2024 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check our financial services registration status on the Financial Services register.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Back To Top
You need to be logged in to Your Account to make a payment. Redirecting you to Account Login.