Who needs Carpenter’s Insurance & what does it cover?


All carpenters need carpenter insurance. This is as true if they do all of their carpentry at their own premises as it is if they do all of their work on site. And it doesn’t matter if you have years of experience and have undertaken all of the training available because, although you can minimise the chance of accidents happening, they do still happen and they can happen to the best of us. When that happens it is vital that you have insurance to protect your carpentry business against the unexpected losses that can arise.

There is a range of different types of insurance that a carpenter should have. Many of these will be required by all carpenters, but because all carpenters are different, carpenter’s insurance policies can be tailored to each individual business’s specific needs, so you only need to pay for the cover you actually need.

Property insurance

Property insurance covers accidental damage to your property and loss of your property due to theft. This includes your buildings and contents as well as your tools, equipment and materials. It also covers damage to or theft of any hired-in property that you are responsible for.

Standard property insurance usually only covers your property when it is at your business premises. If you work on site, you will also need contract works insurance. As well as covering your property on site, it also covers your work in progress until handover and any temporary buildings that are on site.

Liability insurance

There are a number of different types of liability insurance. They all cover compensation claims made against you by someone who feels that you are responsible for a loss they have sustained. They also cover the associated legal fees and other expenses that arise from that loss.

Employer’s liability insurance covers compensation claims made by your employees. This includes temporary and casual employees. Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ anyone and there are heavy fines if you do not have it.

Public liability insurance covers compensation claims made by third parties. It is not a legal requirement, but often a main contractor will not allow a sub-contractor on site unless that subcontractor can produce evidence that they have a valid public liability insurance policy. In other words, if you don’t have public liability insurance, you might not be able to work.

Products liability insurance also covers compensation claims made by third parties, but unlike public liability insurance, it covers compensation claims arising from defects in any products that you have sold or supplied.

Public and products liability insurance only covers compensation claims involving injuries or damage. It does not cover compensation claims involving purely economic losses so it is important to make sure that your public and products liability insurance includes a financial loss extension.

Professional indemnity insurance covers compensation claims arising from your professional negligence. You need this type of insurance if you are creating your own designs and specifications rather than manufacturing and installing to someone else’s design.

Save £££ on your insurance

Customers are always telling us how much they saved by switching
Get a Quote

Legal expenses insurance

Legal expenses insurance is another important element of any carpenter’s insurance policy. This protects you against unexpected legal bills should you find yourself involved in legal action such as:

  • Employment tribunals
  • Disputes with neighbours or clients
  • VAT/tax inspections
  • Criminal charges

Personal accident & sickness insurance

Personal accident and sickness cover is available to protect you if you are unable to work because you have been injured or are sick. This means you don’t have to worry about whether you will be able to afford to pay your bills during your recovery because it pays a weekly sum while you are off work. It also pays a lump sum if your injury or illness means that you will never be able to return to carpentry.

Related links

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1803 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote