Why do you need Caretaker’s Insurance?

Why do you need Caretaker’s Insurance?


Even a professional, experienced caretaker cannot prevent accidents from happening. Your tools could be stolen or accidentally damaged. You might be unable to work due to sickness or an injury. You may injure a member of the public or damage their property.

At times like this, the unexpected costs are unwelcome. Caretaker’s insurance provides you with a safety net which means that, although unwelcome, these unexpected costs will not have an adverse effect on your operation.

What Does Caretaker’s Insurance Cover?

Caretaker’s insurance can cover a range of risks, including:

Liability insurance

Liability insurance covers you if a compensation claim is made against you by someone who alleges that you have injured them or that you have damaged their property. Employer’s liability insurance covers you when a compensation claim is made by one of your employees. Public liability insurance covers you when the compensation claim is made by a member of the public or a client.

Liability insurance is important because compensation claims can be expensive to settle. Even a minor injury will cost at least a thousand pounds. Serious injuries can cost several hundred thousand pounds. The legal fees to deal with such claims can also mount up.

If you employ anyone, even if they are only employed on a temporary or casual basis, you are legally required to have employer’s liability insurance.

Property insurance

Your tools, equipment and other property could be accidentally damaged or stolen. If you cannot afford to replace them, you might be unable to work. Given this, it’s important to make sure that they are adequately insured.

Personal accident & sickness insurance

Self-employed people don’t get sick pay, so if they are unable to work because they’re ill or have been injured, they don’t get paid. This could mean that they are unable to pay their bills.

Personal accident & sickness insurance pays a weekly benefit if you are unable to work due to injury or sickness. If you’ll never be able to return to your job as a caretaker because of permanent disability, it pays a lump sum which could be used to pay off loans or credit cards, or could be used to pay to retrain yourself so you can carry out an alternative occupation.

Premiums you won't find on a comparison site

Starting at £59* per year
Get a Quote

Legal expenses insurance

If legal action is taken against you, it can be expensive to defend yourself, even if that defence is ultimately successful. Legal expenses insurance covers you against the defence costs arising from a range of different types of legal action, including:

  • Neighbour disputes such as disputes over boundary issues
  • Employment disputes such as unfair dismissal tribunals
  • Consumer disputes
  • Criminal defence costs
  • Tax and VAT investigations

Motor insurance

Motor insurance is a legal requirement if you are using a vehicle anywhere that the public has access to. There are serious penalties for anyone who uses an uninsured vehicle where insurance is required.

If you’re using your own vehicle to travel between client sites, it’s important to check that your motor insurance includes cover for business use. Some motor insurance policies restrict cover to social, domestic and pleasure use only.

Related Articles:

*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote