What is Ground Worker’s Insurance?

What is Ground Worker’s Insurance?


No matter how much training you’ve had, how many years of experience you have under your belt and how careful you are, accidents can still happen.

Accidents that result in liability claims can cost hundreds of thousands of pounds and without insurance, a claim of that magnitude would make most businesses struggle and could even result in some businesses becoming bankrupt.

Similarly, ground workers often use expensive machinery and, if that machinery was lost or damaged, many businesses would struggle to find the money to replace or repair it.

In this article, we’ll explain what sort of Ground Workers Insurance is available and why you need it.

Save £££ on your insurance

Customers are always telling us how much they saved by switching
Get a Quote

Liability Insurance

Compensation claims can be expensive. The amount of compensation awarded for a serious injury could easily hit £250,000 and there would be legal fees and other expenses on top of that.

Liability insurance protects you against any compensation claims that are made against you because you have injured someone or damaged their property. Your liability insurer will also defend the claim on your behalf so you don’t have to get involved in, what can often be, complex legal arguments.

Employer’s liability insurance protects you if a compensation claim is made by your employees. This type of insurance is a legal requirement if you employ anyone, even if they’re only temporary or casual employees.

Public liability insurance protects you if a compensation claim is made by a member of the public. This type of insurance is not a legal requirement, but often the main contractor will not let you on site until you have provided evidence that you’re insured. You should make sure that your public liability insurance includes a financial loss extension because otherwise compensation claims for purely economic losses will not be covered.

Some insurers will apply a depth limit to their liability insurance policies. It’s important to check whether this is the case and, if so, to make sure that the depth limit doesn’t prevent you from undertaking your work.

Contract Works Insurance

Contract works insurance covers your property against accidental damage or loss due to theft while it is on job sites. This includes your tools and equipment, as well as any materials. It also includes temporary buildings and any tools or equipment that you have hired in, but are responsible for. The work in progress is also insured.

Because ground workers tend to work on open, exposed sites, there is an increased risk of damage being caused by extreme weather, such as lightning or storms. There is also an increased risk of theft and vandalism because it can be difficult to secure work sites.

Other types of insurance

There are a number of types of insurance that all businesses need, no matter which business sector they operate in.

If they have business equipment, like telephones and computers, they will need to insure their business contents against accidental damage or theft.

Any motor vehicles will need to be insured because this is a legal requirement. Using an uninsured vehicle can lead to a heavy fine, endorsement of your driving licence and possibly even confiscation of your vehicle.

Legal expenses insurance is important because it protects you from unexpected legal costs in the event of legal action such as neighbour/client disputes, employment tribunals, criminal charges and tax/VAT inspections.

Finally, personal accident & sickness insurance is important because it replaces your lost income if you are unable to work due to an injury or an illness, either by paying a weekly benefit until you can return to work, or by paying a lump sum if you will be permanently incapacitated.

Related Articles:

*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register https://register.fca.org.uk/.
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote