Do Bricklayers need Public Liability Insurance?


Just like insurers, bricklayers provide protection too. With each brick they lay, a wall is sturdier and able to withstand whatever the world can throw at it.

But bricklayers themselves need bricklayers insurance too. As carefully as they take their craft, accidents can happen, especially on a busy building site. That’s why it’s essential to have public liability insurance if you are working as a bricklayer.

Public liability cover for brickies

There’s always a lot going on any construction site and bricklayers are often one of them as cogs in a busy machine. Like other construction trades, they’ll know their job inside out. However, even the most experienced ‘bricky’ can’t foresee accidents, so it’s always best to be prepared.

If someone is injured on a building site, becomes ill or has their property damaged, they may seek compensation from you if they feel you are responsible. The claimant could be a client, worker or even a member of the public. If they make a claim against you, then your public liability cover will help you fight such a claim, including legal expenses and any compensation which is awarded to the claimant.

Public liability claims can run into tens and thousands of pounds and could devastate your construction business if you do. It helps have the adequate cover in place.

UK-based call centre

Caring and knowledgeable staff ready to assist you
Get a Quote

How much will a bricklayer be covered for?

All public liability insurance policies for bricklayers come with indemnity limits. This is the maximum amount an insurer will pay out for any single claim. Indemnity limits are usually set at £1m, £2m or £5m. The limit is usually determined by the size of your operation and the perceived level of risk involved.

What other insurance do bricklayers need?

Personal accident & sickness

If you are a self-employed bricky, you may want to consider personal accident and sickness insurance. This will help provide for you if you have suffered an accident or illness and are unable to work for an extended period of time. It can provide a lump sum or regular payments when you are out of action and unable to earn.

Employer’s liability insurance

If you work as a bricklayer and employ other staff, whether it’s contractors or part-time workers, you are required by law to have employer’s liability insurance. This protects you against claims made against you by your employees if they have been injured, fallen ill or had their property damaged as a result of working for you.

Our Reviews

4.9 / 5 Based on 1802 Reviews
Read all reviews »
*This indicative price is for £1m public and products liability, £250,000 legal expenses, £10,000 financial loss and £10,000 accidental death insurance cover for a sole trader. The price includes insurance premium tax and our admin charge. 22% of new customers paid less than £59 between 1st January 2019 and 31st August 2019. The actual price you pay will depend upon your specific business requirements and will be affected by your trade, your claims history and the optional covers you select which are all priced separately during the quote process. This website is intended for customers based in the UK and is therefore subject to the UK regulatory regime(s) © Copyright 2021 Tradesman Saver | Tradesman Saver and Henry Seymour & Co. are trading names of Barkdene Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 303965) for our insurance distribution and credit broking activities. Barkdene Limited is a credit broker not a lender. You can check this on the Financial Services register
Registered in England No 1842617. Registered Office – Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. All rights reserved.
Get a Quote